Wednesday, September 17, 2008

If you don't like reading about religion... or God... or anything like that... then don't read

I'm trying to do this collage that's due tomorrow. I'm supposed to show my "faith journey" through experiences in my life.

What?

I can't really think of anything. I don't remember in terms of events, or even in terms of how old I was, what grade I was in. I remember things through people. That's why I recognize so many people, who don't remember me at all. I remember, people... their faces... their personality... not events.

So I find myself just wanting to put all of these people who I guess have "influenced my faith journey." (Not my own words... that's the assignment) instead of events. Because I can't think of any.

So I did something that I don't normally do. I let my mom help me. She told me about this time when I was in kindergarten. Now, I don't remember this. At all. But apparently I came up to her and asked her when I was going to start "learning about God"

She enrolled me in Religious Ed at the church we [sometimes] went to the next year. (The one we still go to, the Catholic one.)

We were talking about this. She kept wondering out loud, "What influenced you to say that, to wonder about things like that?" Because we didn't go to church often, and the school I went to at the time definitely didn't push religion. It was "progressive" to use my mom's word. I love that school so much.

I realized something though. I realized that that kindergarten kid is a lot like me today.

She was curious. She had heard some things I guess, and she wanted to know what the truth was. Like me today. I've heard different opinions about religion. I've heard Catholics' point of view, since my parents are Catholic so we go to a Catholic church. I've definitely heard Christians' point of view. At PCS, for the 5 years I went there. And I've also heard a lot of Atheists' and Agnostic's point of view on the nerdfighter ning. Not like hater comments and stuff, but real, actual debates. Most of the time I've watched, not really participating.

So sometimes I don't really know what to think.

Yes I believe in God. I definitely believe in God. And Jesus, and about Him dying to save us. But, I don't want to have to choose between something like being Catholic, and being Christian. I almost just want to be "spiritual" without being "religious". (which is something we've been talking about in religion class.) I mean, I understand the split and everything, but I just really don't want to choose things like which denomination and things like that. And I don't really know much about it. All I know is that I want to have a relationship with God. And everything about the Catholic Church, and the Christian Church is kind of confusing me. And distracting me from what is important.

And now I've gone off on a rant, when I really need to be doing my collage. I just had to get something out. *feeble smile*

No comments: